This feels really important to share. This is what you can expect from plants sourced from Edible Acres.
- Nothing is coddled - We don't add fertilizers, drip irrigation, nutrient excess, or anything of the like to promote growth of our plants. They all get the same love and care and hope of deep mulch, organic matter when we can source it, and appreciation for the attempt at life.
- Everything is zone 5b hardy or WAY hardier - There is no greenhouse, high tunnel or season extension involved in the propagation or expansion of our plant stock. They get the weather, for better or worse, of what central NY wants to offer. They get hardier, get thinned if needed, and get ready for the real world in this space. We add or subtract from our offerings based on their ability to thrive in the real conditions of a northern forest farm.
- Everything is Organic or WAY better - OK, so we're not certified, but you are encouraged to ask hard questions and come look at this nursery for yourself to ask if we meet or exceed organic certification (we don't pursue organic certification because it is diluted to a joke if you ask us)... We are happy to answer with full transparency about any of the practices we use for nursery production or really anything we grow.
- ONLY rainwater collection - For literally everything on this farm. Nursery work, propagation, home garden, EVERYTHING is on just what falls from the sky and is collected in the earth or in cisterns. This means no drip tape or deep soakings, which helps the plants toughen up and figure out meeting their own needs from early on. We are committed to growing with what nature provides.
- Avoiding new plastic - Our potted plants are only ever in reused or reclaimed pots, and we always happily take them back for another run. Piping, hoses, poly, anything of that sort is sourced from the waste stream whenever possible.
- NO CHEMICALS - No need to explain. Ask us hard questions about our practice to feel confident you are getting what you know we all deserve.
- Easy to propagate - Anything we offer here can be propagated easily by seed, by cutting, division or other. We aren't high level agriculturally trained people, this is a home operation of self-trained plant loving folks. If we can do it, you can too! We share extensive notes on what we’re trying and learning on our youtube Propagation Playlist. Ask us for help with any of it and we'll try to help!
Ask your nursery hard questions about how your plants come to you. What is the potting mix, how do they grow out their crops, how do they source their poly related items. Do they use Round-Up? Do they fertilize? If so, with what? How much new plastic do they use per year? Don't be afraid to ask these questions. A good nursery will happily and proudly spend the time. A dodge on these questions means move along to a better source.
If you aren't happy with the answer thats OK! Find a better source. We can be that source. If we don't have what you want we are excited to point you to others we believe in.
We care so much about this work. Let us prove it to you with plants, seeds, cuttings, ideas and support!
Thanks for reading.